I’m not a huge tofu person but, I get asked all the time how to make tofu taste great. When my Cheftern Michelle created this tofu teriyaki all I could think was “you can never go wrong with teriyaki sauce”. Look at this pic! Has tofu ever looked so darn good before?
The key to getting it to taste and look this good is to sear it. A good sear requires you to get the pan really hot before placing whatever it is your cooking on it. This will give it that golden brown color and caramelize the outside giving you the most delicious tofu you’ve ever tasted.
Tofu takes on the flavor of anything that your cooking so when deciding on what you want your tofu to taste like first stop and think about what your in the mood for. Then season your tofu for exactly that flavor your craving.
What makes this teriyaki sauce great is that it has simple ingredients, shoyu instead of soy sauce which is better because it’s made in a much healthier way by using soybeans, red wheat, sea salt & water. They then ferment it for 18 months. Anything that is fermented is great for you.
Mass produced soy sauce is made from chemically produced defatted soybean pulp.Chemicals & coloring agents are used to enhance flavor. So, as you can see shoyu is a great way to make your Asian food in a much healthier way. It’s an easy swap and it’s not hard to find. Most supermarkets have it in the same aisle as the soy sauce. If your supermarket doesn’t carry shoyu look for it at your local health food store.
- 1 package firm tofu (about 14 ounces)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Teriyaki Sauce (see below)
- Yield: 2 cups
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 4 tablespoons shoyu
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in food processor until smooth
- Slice tofu in half. Place tofu on plate between paper towels and weigh down for 20 minutes to extract water. Slice pressed tofu into 1/2 inch slabs.
- In large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat and sear tofu until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil. Add teriyaki sauce to tofu and reduce sauce (15 minutes).