Winning the healthy lunch battle
I won!! Yes it was a battle hard fought by myself & my son’s school lunch.
I have been sending lil Anthony to school with his own lunch pretty much since day 1. But, after a while his teacher began giving him the school lunch because he was looking at the other kid’s lunches like he wanted them and not eating his own.
Honestly this peed me off. I’m sending in a healthy lunch that I take time to make and your giving him this hamburger disc because he looks like he likes it. Grrrr!
I love his Teacher to death but it was game time. I let it go for a bit thinking maybe I’m being to serious and what’s one meal a day right?
Well, when she handed me the menu and said we have much healthier food. I believed her until I took a good look at it.
Honestly it wasn’t so healthy. At all!
I had to pull up my sleeves and come up with some good stuff to win this battle.
Can you tell I’m a competitive kind of person? Just a little lol.
So, I began to brainstorm. And when I do this I always go back this question, what would I have liked as a kid and, what did I like when I was a kid?
Here’s what I came up with and what worked.
- Put everything in a small container. That means cut up apples, grapes, melon, strawberries, pretzels. Even if that means like 7 little containers who cares he liked it.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out cool sandwiches from things they like. Anthony loves trains so I bought train cookie cutters.
- Let them help. Anthony loved filling his small containers up with goodies & he loves cutting his sandwich with a cookie cutter. *WARNING: When trains no longer work your gonna have to get whatever he/she likes now.
- Buy a cool water bottle. Anthony is so into Star Wars so, we found a really cool Star Wars cooler cup. It was $6.
- Ask your kid what he/she wants. But give them healthy choices like do you want apples or grapes today or both. Get it? It’s only healthy choices.
- A little love note goes a long way! A little smiley face or note can really make a big difference.
Now let me tell you why I’m claiming the Victory.
Yesterday I woke up late and the whole morning was just crazy. Even tho I always have fruits & veggies chopped up in the frig and all my food is prepped ahead for the week I was running so late I just said forget it Anthony can eat lunch at school today.
I grab him and his book bag and as we walk down the stairs he says ” Mommy where is my lunch?”
I said “you’ll eat the lunch at school today.”
I never saw it coming but he started crying!! Like tears & everything.
I said Anthony do you you like Mommy’s lunch better? And thru his little toddler tears he said yes!
Back up the stairs we went to make his healthy lunch.
And just like that I won the healthy lunch war! And here’s our Victory picture!
Do you know someone who’s looking for some help in this arena? Share this with them and help another Mom out! We’re all in this together.